Friday, July 23, 2010


Thanks to my gall bladder surgery I got a wonderful 2 1/2 week vacation from my revlamid and it was kinda nice.  I felt better, slept better, had more energy and got a really big appetite back.  This week in particular I pigged out pretty big in anticipation of going back on it yesterday.  Monday I had lunch with a friend at Lolo's (our favorite mexican restaurant that is closing on the 28th) and got a half tostada grande.  The half covers an entire plate and is about 4" high with beans, chili colorado, cheese, lettuce guacamole and sour cream.  During revlamid I would have been happy to get half of it down.  I was half way done when I realized, 'I'm going to be able to finish this!'  Which I did.  And that was in addition to my own basket of chips and three bowls of salsa.

Tuesday my niece Amberly, her husband Aaron and their children Ethan and Radley came to visit us.  We had a great time exploring the coastal tide pools at Cambria, walking on and under the pier at San Simeon, riding the rider mower around the hill, etc.  I was able to do it all!  I was sore by the end of the day, but still able to sleep well with a little help from one of my medication friends.  I had a tri-tip sandwich for lunch and a huge plate of Lombardi's spagetti with meat balls, salad and garlic bread for dinner, topped off by a piece of cake.  Normally, I couldn't have eaten half of the sandwich, and would have been done for the day.  Wednesday, back to Lolo's with Dale and Hillary for more chips and salsa, carnitas taco with rice and beans.  Yesterday, in anticipation of my binging all coming to an end, I made an omelette with sauteed red peppers and mushrooms and cheese for breakfast.  Washed down with a big glass of ovaltine.  Wow it was good.

Yesterday late morning I had my appointment with Dr. Malone in SLO.  I got my first infusion of Zometa, plus he put me back on the revlamid.  Zometa is to help with the rebuilding of my bones.  The doctor said that maybe in 6 months or so, depending on the tests, I might be able to start golfing a little.  It's a once month infusion coupled with blood tests.  Fortunately, I didn't have the side effects from it that many have.  But it only took about 1 1/2 hours after taking the revlamid after I got home last night before the muscle and body aches, headache and nausea showed up.  I have to admit though, compared to many, I have it pretty dang easy.  The side effects only slow me down, but don't put me down.  Plus if it works, I'm not dead yet!  Not even ...mostly dead.  I also finally got my MRIs scheduled for the orthopedist.  August 2nd.  They are going to do 3 MRIs.  One with contrast and 2 without.   And I was able to do 3 appointments with clients at my Santa Maria office yesterday.  It was a great day.  I'm feeling good.  But vacation's over.  2 pieces of toast and 8 oz. of apple juice for breakfast today. 

Thanks for caring.  We love and appreciate you all.  Feel free to call or email.


  1. KR, we just love your blogs with the "personal touch" and Kevinisms. God has blessed you, and you bless us with your life, your example, and especially, your humor. Your keen focus on fine (and nearly fine) dining in this blog had us rolling. Again.
    So glad for the break, albeit courtesy of your gall (bladder). And how fun that you get to look forward to golf again! And, what would life (well, your life) be without Ovaltine! Sheesh!
    Love you KR, Rick and Nancy

  2. I am jealous of your food eating abilities. I hope the revlamid cuts you a break and lets you continue eating the good stuff soon!

    Love you!