Sunday, September 30, 2012

FINALLY!

First, let's get this out of the way up front.  I was never normal to begin with, so what makes any of the Drs. think I'll ever be "normal" again?  It's been 4 1/2 months since my last daily chemo treatment, but the side effects just aren't going away like we'd hoped.  Still have nausea and it's many fun manifestations.  But I'm kinda used to them.  Can be a little(lot) inconvenient. Still have nasty muscle cramps even in the middle of the night. You don't get used to those.  Headaches, spasms and the neuropathy is interesting and sometimes helpful.  I took a big chunk out of my left forearm a couple weeks ago.  Thanks to neoropathy, I didn't even feel it!  No nerves no pain!  Still some crawlies feelings.  Chemo brain.  Sleeplessness.  Weakness.  I said, "But you told me that the side effects would go away after a couple of months". Then they (the Drs.) remember..."But then again, you had chemo every day with no break for 3 1/2 years, so it's no wonder."   Do not get me wrong.  I am doing wonderfully better than I was even just a year ago.  I am a very blessed guy.  So basically we come back to their (the Drs.) excuse: "We never expected you to make it this far and  we're all in uncharted waters here", and there you have it.

Here's what we do know.  The numbers have started going up.  Not to a degree where I don't have to worry, but up is up.  Liver function, up.  Kidney function, up.  Platelets, up! Hemoglobin, up. Cancer numbers...up, but again not enough to worry about yet. Just one problem area popped up, but I'm not going to tell you unless it's still a problem next time.

So it's 37 months since my diagnosis and "I'm not dead yet", nor am I even "mostly dead".  I, thanks to God and all of you and your prayers and help, am all alive.  Thank you.  We love and appreciate you and your support over the past 3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment